About this site

Michif Language Background Paper – Métis Centre @ NAHO

Métis Centre researcher Tricia Logan has recently returned from a month of Michif language instruction in Camperville, Manitoba. After spending all of July in a rustic cabin along the shores of Lake Winnipegosis, she now faces the challenge of not only hanging on to the Michif that she learned but also learning more through the ongoing process of language revitalization. Her teachers, Rita Flamand and Grace Zoldy, have offered to keep up communication with Tricia via email, phone, tapes and letters so she should have ample opportunities to become a stronger Michif speaker, over time.

Michif and the City

Well, I am back in Winnipeg and now starts the hard part. Learning Michif while living Michif was one of the most valuable experiences of my life and I sincerely hope that I can keep it up. Keeping Michif while living in Winnipeg surrounded only by English speakers is already posing a challenge

I was asked to keep up the blog, because as boring as I think my life is, Michif language is not. I remembered that this Michif language acquisition, immersion and revitalization is not a "on-off" project. There should not be an end to learning and using Michif. As far as language in my life go, I could maybe afford to stop using pig-latin and maybe my walkie-talkie lingo and still survive, but I really do not think I can afford to lose Michif.

So here it is, the life of a single, urban, indoor-plumbing using, Winnipeg Métis woman using and learning Michif. The trials and tribulations of cabin life and learning the language has now transformed into the trials and tribulations of finding a Michif speaker in the city.

Just when I thought I was going to have to lean only on my Elders - with a growing long distance bill - I spontaneously inaugurated a new student today. My former graduate studies classmate, misery-loves-company, dear friend Sharon Humphrey was just reflecting on how she wished she used the Cree she learned years ago a little bit more.

Too late; I heard her; she couldn't take it back. I pounced.

She is now the somewhat-willing recipient of my Michif conversations. Knowing my dear friend Sharon spent her "formative" years living in Montreal acquiring her "more-than-just-swears-and-drink-orders" French as well as her Cree skills make her my new urban Michif buddy.

I promised her lots of talking - in Michif - about people behind their backs and that sold her.

In all honesty, though, Sharon has one valuable resource that I do not have. She has a young 5 year old son. I secretly hope he will not only be arriving to kindergarten in September with a backpack full of hot wheels cars, but a little "Taanshi kiya" too.

9/18/2007

We welcome your comments; please feel free to email us at metiscentre@naho.ca