About this site

Michif Language Background Paper – Métis Centre @ NAHO

Métis Centre researcher Tricia Logan has recently returned from a month of Michif language instruction in Camperville, Manitoba. After spending all of July in a rustic cabin along the shores of Lake Winnipegosis, she now faces the challenge of not only hanging on to the Michif that she learned but also learning more through the ongoing process of language revitalization. Her teachers, Rita Flamand and Grace Zoldy, have offered to keep up communication with Tricia via email, phone, tapes and letters so she should have ample opportunities to become a stronger Michif speaker, over time.

La Bella Luna

I am just getting ready for my last couple of days here under the very bright, very telling full moon. My Aunt, a nurse who has worked in emergency rooms for several years, taught me well that full moons have several meanings. Right now, all I'm getting is paranoid and a little nostalgic. I packed up to leave Winnipeg on a full moon and I am now packing up by the light of another full moon.

There are numerous theories and stories about full moons and I hear new ones all the time. In any event, full moons really freak me out.

Despite being adequately freaked out, I am ready to reflect on how fast this month of 'living Michif' has gone by.

I believe only people who lived in or were raised in the country can truly appreciate the unique connection between the land, the water and everything else. In this case, it is language. In terms of this project, one of the things I think I have reflected on the most is the importance of connections between place, language, stories and people.

This town has started to feel like home. Not only in the sense that my language instructors' families have made me feel at home, have been kind and welcoming, but in the sense that I will also miss the land and the places just as much when I leave.

I know this Michif language program is far from over. I still have so much more to learn and both Rita and Grace have encouraged me to phone, email and visit as often as I can. That's the trick - use the language or lose it. At the very least I have learned how important and endangered this language is; the last thing I want to do is lose it. I can only hope I can give it life just like my teachers have. I think that given the right setting though, I just may be able to.

I am Métis, but I can honestly say I have never really 'lived Michif' like this before.


And for the 'bleaders'* out there...

Things I will miss: The loons; swimming in the lake while Rita talks to me from shore in Michif; Ramona saying 'fish' (kichi pahpiw); using a language every day that is truly a 'laughing language' in every sense of the word; hearing Grace's stories; and, simply, learning Michif. I think I may actually miss being in school now (gasp!) and I think if I can learn Michif, then it's probable that anyone can!!

Things I will not miss: My camp 'throne'; my camp 'shower-bag'; the loons; strobe-light lightening storms; big fat mosquitoes; all other bugs in general (mainly the ones taking up residence in my bed and car); and li marde labrinth**.

*blog-readers = bleaders

**This refers to the diligence one must exercise when navigating space shared with four dogs with - ahem - healthy constitutions.

8/02/2007

We welcome your comments; please feel free to email us at metiscentre@naho.ca