About this site

Michif Language Background Paper – Métis Centre @ NAHO

Métis Centre researcher Tricia Logan has recently returned from a month of Michif language instruction in Camperville, Manitoba. After spending all of July in a rustic cabin along the shores of Lake Winnipegosis, she now faces the challenge of not only hanging on to the Michif that she learned but also learning more through the ongoing process of language revitalization. Her teachers, Rita Flamand and Grace Zoldy, have offered to keep up communication with Tricia via email, phone, tapes and letters so she should have ample opportunities to become a stronger Michif speaker, over time.

What did I learn today?

I guess this is what the month is all about. As much as it is about content and the Michif language itself, it is also about how I learned it.

Today I learned about herbs - lii michin. Using the Michif language, I gained a sense not only of what the herbs used in medicinal teas and rubs are for but also how my teacher came to know about them.

I listened; I internalized the discussion; I smelled herbs; I related the stories back to the herbs; I increased my Michif vocabulary; I appreciated the origins of lii michin; I worked hard to treat the knowledge of the herbs with a level of reverence; and, of course, as per usual, I gestured with my big claw-like hands as I spoke and spilled the herbs all over the floor.

I soon learned what you do when that happens.

I must be retaining some of what I learn, though. My parents just made the drive from their home in Devlin, Ontario, to Camperville to visit me. They seem to have noticed (and seem a little shocked) that my teachers had good things to say about me. After a lifetime of mixed, not-always positive reviews from my teachers, it was quite refreshing for them not only to hear decent reviews from my instructors but also see and hear that I am speaking Michif functionally. As long-time interested observers and not-so-silent financial partners in the ongoing saga of Tricia's education, I think they were impressed. They were only here for a day but they could see, as I do, just how much you can learn in a day through Michif and the women who speak it.

7/24/2007

We welcome your comments; please feel free to email us at metiscentre@naho.ca