About this site

Michif Language Background Paper – Métis Centre @ NAHO

Métis Centre researcher Tricia Logan has recently returned from a month of Michif language instruction in Camperville, Manitoba. After spending all of July in a rustic cabin along the shores of Lake Winnipegosis, she now faces the challenge of not only hanging on to the Michif that she learned but also learning more through the ongoing process of language revitalization. Her teachers, Rita Flamand and Grace Zoldy, have offered to keep up communication with Tricia via email, phone, tapes and letters so she should have ample opportunities to become a stronger Michif speaker, over time.

Feels like... someone is getting irrationally angry at the weather network

I have never been good with numbers. I think I'm a literature person and after this month, maybe I could even be a 'language' person. So, with that in mind, someone will have to explain this to me: Why does the Weather Network give you two temperatures when it is inexplicably hot out? Sure, they give me hourly updates to tell me their 'numbers' - say 37°C - but that it "feels like" 42°C. Right now, in my cabin, I'm feeling 142°C. Do you think the Weather Network is just trying to mess with me? I think it feels like they are playing a tricky little mind game.

Oh, and here is a time-saver, Weather Network: Make sure to keep my rant on file for the winter months when -37°C feels like -42°C with the wind-chill!

Maybe this irrationality is heat exhaustion setting in?

As for my lessons, it is so hot, the only Michif phrases I can seem to recall right now are those that involve "it's hot"(kishitew) and "I'm going swimming"(ni wii bakashimon).

There is a lot of talk about the weather in our lessons. Since we are living Michif and learning about the community, we have been given a lot to think about in terms of how the weather has changed; how storms have never been as bad as they have been this year; how plants are disappearing; how animals are acting strangely and appearing where they shouldn't; and how fast the water is rising.

I am not currently in what I would consider "the North" right now. However, I think there is a message from the 'North' that the 'South' is not receiving. It has been said, but I think it demands to be said again, that the rate of consumption in the South is being felt in the North. I will spare you of my enviro-rant of the day, but will simply say I have heard several accounts of how the land here has changed and may not be able to recover.

Why doesn't the Weather Network - or all other mainstream networks for that matter - communicate what THAT feels like?

7/30/2007

We welcome your comments; please feel free to email us at metiscentre@naho.ca