About this site

Michif Language Background Paper – Métis Centre @ NAHO

Métis Centre researcher Tricia Logan has recently returned from a month of Michif language instruction in Camperville, Manitoba. After spending all of July in a rustic cabin along the shores of Lake Winnipegosis, she now faces the challenge of not only hanging on to the Michif that she learned but also learning more through the ongoing process of language revitalization. Her teachers, Rita Flamand and Grace Zoldy, have offered to keep up communication with Tricia via email, phone, tapes and letters so she should have ample opportunities to become a stronger Michif speaker, over time.

Animate or Inanimate

There are a lot of things I'm really starting to enjoy about immersion (as a way of learning a language). Aside from the obvious desire to distance myself from university for the summer after recently graduating, I am really loving the "freedoms" it allows. Since there are only a couple students here, the course is customized.

I think it's an interesting dynamic to have both women instructors and all women students. I'll leave my personal reflections on my peaceful month away from men for another time, but lets just say my teachers are, at all times, woman-mentors. In lessons, they know what interests me/us. As an example, they help explain linguistic differences between animate and inanimate objects in the Michif language.

Inanimate: the cup is hot (kishitew)
Animate: Brad Pitt is hot (kishishoo).

Granted, the old Michif nohkoms (grandmothers) may not have used Brad Pitt in their "traditional" language transmissions and maybe referencing something so recent isn't technically in keeping with my immersion methods. However, I have no doubt they used that sentence a few times to describe some nice looking guy.

Who am I kidding? Those Michif nohkoms used that sentence last week.
Some of them may have glasses, but they know hot animate objects when they see them.

7/11/2007

We welcome your comments; please feel free to email us at metiscentre@naho.ca